Capital Punishment in Texas Day Retreat
Texas State University, San Marcos, TX
September 6th Retreat Agenda
1. Welcome & Introductions
2. Jury Selection Four Corners
3. Rebecca Lorins - TAVP Rep
4. T-Kay Sangwand - UT Human Rights Archivist
5. Pathway to Execution - Jigsaw
6. Lunch & Zine Work
7. Dead Man Walking Viewing and Discussion
8. Journal Reflection and Share
2. Jury Selection Document (Link to Document)
This is a document that determines who is eligible to serve on a capital punishment jury.
Answer the questions on #47
Read through the document and be prepared to complete the following sentence stems -
After reading this document I understand …
After reading this document I am surprised that …
After reading this document I wonder…
Group share out.
Stand under the corner (strongly agree, agree, strongly disagree, disagree) that best represents your response to the following statements.
Be prepared to support your stance with specific evidence and/or scenarios.
Discuss with your fellow group members and select one person to share thoughts with entire group.
#1 Based on my views, I would be eligible to serve on the jury of a capital punishment case?
Only “death-qualified*” people are allowed to serve on capital punishment cases.
*These are individuals open to any type of punishment options for a capital murder case.
#2 Only “death qualified” people should be allowed to serve as jurors on capital punishment cases.
#3 State-mandated lethal injection is an act of violence.
3. Rebecca Lorins, Director of the Texas After Violence Project
4. T-Kay Sangwand, Human Rights Archivist at the University of Texas of Austin
5. Pathway to Execution Jigsaw
(based on this primer, used with permission)
Organize yourselves into groups of 6 people.
Number off 1-6.
1 - Crime
2 - Trial
3 - Incarceration
4 - Appeal
5 - Final Appeals
6 - The Execution
With your jigsaw group you will read the section and create the following:
1. <36 word synthesis of the passage
2. Haiku synthesis (5, 7, 5)
3. Visual representation(s) synthesizing the passage
4. A lingering question about the section
After completion, return to your original group.
Rotate to each station. The representative for that station will share
and help group members fill out the Pathway to Execution Jigsaw Sheet. (link to document)
6. Lunch & Gallery/Darkroom Tour
7. Watch Dead Man Walking
Write for five minutes about your thoughts and feelings after having just watched the film.
Group share out.
8. Journal Reflection Questions
1) Whose voice or voices did I hear today?
2) How has what I have learned today shaped my perspective?
3) What is one way I could share my perspective?